Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Reflections (A full weekend of cleaning up)

1959 GMC truck
This Memorial weekend we stayed close to home and I took advantage of the sun and perfect temperature to tackle some truck issues. The first was to finish the cleaning and waxing of the truck body. The final result looks real nice. Of course now I have to consider some "repair" work on the real bad spots. I used the tent to keep me cool during the day and since it was a long weekend I was able to work on it for three long days.

1959 GMC truck 1959 GMC truck

1959 GMC truck 1959 GMC truck


Deluxe Heater
1959 GMC truck heater blower motor
Blower motor sits on top of the unit above.
I also went after the deluxe heater controls and corresponding blower motor. The problem is that some of the controls are stiff and one does not move at all. I also suspect that the blower motor is dead. I first tried to remove the control panel for the heater. That was fairly easy except for the hidden screws up top and behind the panel that secures it to the dash cutout. It was a fairly reasonable cleanup and a few lubrication points. I then took each cable, removed them, and cleaned all the rust off and then used a bicycle lubricant to loosen them further. A few adjustments to get them just right and I have a working control panel, except for the blower. The blower removal forced me to destroy the glove box in the process. Fortunately it was in need of replacement anyway. The blower appears to not turn well as it is stiff and has lots of resistance. I tried some oil to loosen it up, but I think a new one is the best route. 

The photos below show before and after shots.  The majority of the issue was the fine red dust from the years spent in Gold Country. The mechanical components make it real easy to work with.  No plastic to break or rivets to remove, just good old screws and washers.

1959 GMC truck heater control panel 1959 GMC truck heater control panel
1959 GMC truck heater control panel 1959 GMC truck heater control panel
1959 GMC truck heater control panel 1959 GMC truck heater control panel


The dash gauges were next. light bulbs replaced, and a wire wheel to the gauge panel removed all traces of paint. I realize that it does not look original but at this moment it is a real low priority. The left panel in the photo is all cleaned while the right side is still peeling paint.  I also replaced the flasher unit and a 9amp fuse. A cleaning of the dash and all interior surfaces was a time consuming task, and not yet complete.

1959 GMC truck gauges


The following are some shots I took that captured some nice features of the truck. I have been asked what camera I use.  Its an iPhone 4.  I run all my photos for the black border and a few modifications to bring out the detail from shadows in a app called Camera+. The blurred backgrounds are using the focus lock feature on the phone.  My favorite is the water temp gauge which reflects the blue sky and green tree.

1959 GMC truck gear shift knob 1959 GMC truck dash
1959 GMC truck odometer 1959 GMC truck temp gauge sky and tree reflection

1959 GMC truck side mirror reflection

A good friend also encouraged me to get an authentic 1959 era Oregon license plate.  It is a light mint green with dark green numbers.  The registration shows December 1960. 

1959 GMC truck with Oregon Plates from 1959

1 comment: