Monday, May 19, 2014

Lipstick on a Pig (Polishing and Waxing the Body)


I have had a "GMC" decal that I needed to place on the tailgate.  I have moved it around in my work shed for several weeks now to make sure it did not get dirty or wrinkled.  Finally I decided to "clean" up the raised letters on the tailgate with some rubbing compound and a little elbow grease so that the decal could adhere better.

1959 GMC truck
1959 GMC truck
Well much to my surprise I found a fairly nice surface underneath the faded blue grime and oxidation.  So I kept polishing the entire tailgate.   

When that was done I wondered what the front of the truck would look like.  Starting with a wet rag I applied some Turtle Wax Heavy Rubbing Compound to remove moss, algea, sap, bugs, stains, oil, etc.  Working in large sections I then rinsed off with the hose and a sponge.  After it was dry I went back with Meguiar's Polishing Compound.  This was really used to give a bit more luster to the paint as well as remove any rubbing compound that I missed in the wash.  The last step was to use Klasse All in One Polish.  This stuff is easy to apply and very forgiving!

I have done the top of the cab, hood, front fenders and tailgate, more to come. Notice the doors are still a dull oxidized color.

1959 GMC truck 1959 GMC truck
1959 GMC truck 1959 GMC truck

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Flash in all the right places but still has the "I'm an old truck and I work for a living" air about it.

    Nicely played.

    "Kook"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kook. The more I work on this truck to get it working as you described, the more I understand how guys stall out doing a full restoration. Even though I love working on the truck I also at times dread the task in front for I already know what is involved....my labor, dirt, chemicals and time away from other things and family. I can not imagine a frame off restoration project - that is a level of commitment.

    ReplyDelete