Monday, December 9, 2013

Title and Plates

When we transferred title from my wife's grandmother to her it was a bit of a concern.  Reason being that the truck was originally in her grandfather's name, then upon his death it went to her grandmother.  Problem was that she died many years ago.  So technically it should be in her estate and transferred through documents that would require her court appointed estate representative to sign.  However it appears as though grandma "signed" the title before her death.

So we filled out paperwork for a family transfer costing us $15 and prayed that California would issue a new title to my wife, no questions asked.

Well good news is that we received the new title from California, all we need to do now is retitle in Oregon.

The second issue is license plates.  In Oregon we can request a Special Interest registration and plates.  The rule is that the vehicle has to be at least 25 years old and we can drive only for club events, parades, and the like.  This means that as a daily driver it can not be driven.  I suspect that trips to keep the engine running and joints lubricated would be acceptable.  Also I am an official member of the Old GMC club.   So why do this? Well I have to pay $86 dollars for the Special Interest registration only once.  Meaning that I will never have to pay again. 



The Special Interest plates are rather boring and not that nice looking.  So I did some research and found that you can buy plates from folks that have not been registered and are from the year of my truck.  I can run a single plate so long as it is clean and usable according to the DMV.

The plates for 1959 passenger cars were dark blue with yellow letters.  However truck and farm vehicle plates were a lite mint green with dark green letters.  So that is what I will go for.

No comments:

Post a Comment