Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Gas Tank Install

This Saturday I cleaned off the main fuel line inside and out.  It took about an hour or so to get the grime, dirt and rust from out of the fuel line.  I installed a new fuel gauge and tightened down the new/used gas tank.  After removing the temp tank I discovered that I didn't have the right connector from the 5/16 fuel line to the smaller inlet at the fuel pump.  A quick trip to the local auto parts store and I was back in business.  

Then I hooked it all back up and was pleased  I threw in 2.5 gallons of fuel into the tank and saw the needle barely move from Empty.  At least now I know that on the line at "E" there is about 2 gallons left.  I checked all connections and looked for leaks.  I found one at the fuel pump.  I tightened it a bit more and it seemed to stop.  I double checked and it looked good.  So I decided to drive to the gas station to fill up.  This is the first real trip that lasted more than 9 minutes.  When I stopped I decided to only put in about 7 gallons.  While it was filling up I checked the leak just in case.  Arrgg!  A steady drip, drip, drip.  I closed the hood, paid and drove off.  
1959 GMC truck fuel pump
By this time it was late and I was frustrated.  So I threw a bucket underneath and figured I'd check again on Sunday when I had time to fix it.

You can see in the photo the clean round silver color fuel pump and the brass connector and stainless steel fuel line that was the location of the drip.

Well on Sunday I checked the bucket and found less than a half gallon of fuel.  I'm sure some evaporated but a drip every 5 seconds or so was not aggressive.

The problem was that the adapter I bought on Saturday was NOT the right one.  I decided to go to NAPA this time instead of the "other" place.  A simple change out and the line was back together and leak free.  I slowed the flow of fuel when changing out the adapter by "pinching" the intermediate rubber hose from the tank to the metal fuel line that runs horizontal.

Fired the ole girl up and she purred.  I decided that a long trip was in order.  So I drove to the house and picked up the boys and went for a long drive.  It was strange to drive for so long at high speeds, well 45mph.  I am of course still a little nervous that after 25+ years that something isn't about to break.  I probably won't feel comfortable for some time.

This time I also noticed that the beast wanders more than I'd like.  I think the steering box adjustment procedure is next in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment