Monday, November 11, 2013

Creaky Bones (Fixing Odds and Ends)

Did not get much done this weekend as I frankly was not into crawling around and getting dirty.  Besides I still hadn't raked the leaves and cleaned up the yard since I got the truck.

Brake Light Switch
When we got the truck one of the problems was the rear brake light stayed on and drained the battery.  So we were always disconnecting and reconnecting.  I finally just pulled a wire from the brake light switch.  On Sunday I decided to reattach the wire on a whim and was prepared to take the whole switch off and clean it up and or add it to my shopping list of parts to replace. Well wouldn't you know it the thing works again.  I think after 25 plus years it was simply stuck in the on mode since the pedal was frozen in the stop position.





Speedometer
1959 GMC truckI have already mentioned this before but slowly the speedometer is getting better.  At first the speedometer did not work at all and was stuck at about 10 MPH.  Then it would register only over 10 MPH.  Again I intended to take the cable off and clean and or replace.  On my Sunday drive it suddenly dawned on me that the gauge was below 10 MPH and was tracking fairly close to what I think we were driving.  Remember that driving this old truck you must be fully engage.  No time to text, or make calls. Stopping, starting and turning all require 100% of your time.  Trying to look at a speedometer is not high on the list of things to do.

Brakes
The brakes are feeling better and better as I test drive and get a feel for them.  I even tested a hard stop and found them to hold straight and true.  After so many years things are getting better.

Windshield Wipers
Another small issue was the wiper blades and nothing I should have spent money on but still wanted them to work should I want to drive in the rain.  On a side note, those who think Oregon is always raining might be surprised.  Southern Oregon, where I live has about the same rainfall per year as does Southern California.  SO gets it in mist and a softer rain, while SC gets more downpours.  I actually used my umbrella more in SC than SO.  Anyways, the local auto parts store has a "classic" series of wiper blades.  They are a great fit although I had to peel back some metal on the original blades to get the wiper off the arm.  Once I figured that out the new wipers fit perfect.


Turn Signal
As part of my lighting fixes I wanted to test the blinkers.  I found that the left blinker is good but the right is a hit and miss.  So I decided to take the turn signal mechanism apart and take a look.  Several screws, metal springs, and washers later I discovered the problem.  It seems as though there is a small diameter stud in the housing that has a bearing collar that sits over that stud.  So far so good.  The issue is that on top of that bearing is a flat washer that is about 1/8 a inch larger in diameter than the bearing designed to hold the turn signal mechanism down.  The washer is held by a simple "mushrooming" of the stud to hold it tight.  No "mushroom" no washer.  So I need to take the housing off and figure out some type of a fix. I can't fix the housing until I remove the steering wheel.  Can't remove the steering wheel until I have a steering wheel puller. Can't get a wheel puller until Jerre borrows one from his neighbor.  And so it goes.

Parking  Lens
1959 GMC truck parking lensThese are in the front of the truck and are part of the assembly that serve as turn signals.  The light bulb assembly and its plastic dome housing are brand new from the inventory in the back of the truck.  The assembly is held in place within the grill from a flat plastic bezel.  This is no longer made.  Fortunately I have two brand new parking lenses, via truck inventory!  There is an outfit that sells reproductions for about $350!  I decided that before I install mine I'll make a rubber mold and pour a casting so I have an extra set.  

Rear Tail Lights and Back Up Lights
Well this was a mess!!  And it was all because of my lack of patience.  So the truck has what's called a Barden Bumper.  The stop lights and back up lights are tucked in the bumper to protect them from - frankly anything.  This bumper if removed I would think could give me an extra 3-4 miles per gallon. The right side lights do not work at all.  

So I thought I'll start with a simple bulb change.  There are no screws anywhere on the light assemblies.  So I figured I will have to release the lights from the back side.  So I take off the protective cover from under the bumper. That was easy.  Then I proceed to remove the nut that is around the single stud with electrical wires coming out.  Squirt some WD-40 and wait a bit.  Now keep in mind I was not planning on getting dirty, just checking on something when I started to check out the lights. One thing leads to another.

So I have one knee on a clean board and hunched over to peer under the bumper for this simple procedure!  My knee hurts on the wood and I'm at a strange angle and the sun is not helping but actually makes the area I'm working in darker.  I start turning the nut and it is moving.  Several turns later I realize that the wire inside is spinning and starting to coil up on its self and the nut is not turning but actually spinning the stud!  I figure all is lost so I cut the wires to prevent the harness form getting pulled.  Now I have better access to the nuts.

About this time my dad comes over and starts asking questions, which I kinda answer.  Then he manages to simply pull the red stop light lens off.  There in the sunshine is the lens cover off and the bulb ready for me to inspect.  You think I would stop and reassess the situation but no I am cranky and figure I still need to remove the housing and so I grab the socket with a set of pliers because when I turn the nut the socket turns as well.  Well the socket is now destroyed and the nut still turns the stud!!  Frustrated is not even the word I would use.  Shame is probably better.  I then inspect the backup lights and discover that what I thought was a gasket gone bad was actually a metal spring and curved handle to remove.  Simply pull the handle and out comes the glass dome exposing the bulb.  Remember that I cut the wires?


I have resigned myself to the fact that I screwed up and have a plan but still need to remove the old housings.  Grinding wheel, metal saw blade, cold chisel.....

As I got off my knee I realized that I am getting older and my old bones are creaky.  The truck was born in 59 I was born in 69, and Maverick was able to sit around or 25 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment