Friday, September 27, 2013

Step One

1959 GMC truck fuel filterIts been almost a week since I picked up the truck.  Everyday I try to inspect a bit more, wishing I could just take it for a quick run around the block.  Ever notice that some cars and trucks do not invoke that type of response.  Well here we have a rusty old truck with broken and missing parts, dirty, dented, old tech, smelling like a mixture of old oil, dust and stale water.  However when she starts, the rumble of the engine, simplicity of the engineering and the imbalance of mechanical vs electronic comes together and reminds me of our American history. 

First lesson is that what I know is not what know now.  All my thinking, planning, and plan of attack seems to change daily.  So I took a spreadsheet and started writing down a punch list.  Documenting helps me get my head clear and gives me a list to reference.  Some things require it to be done in a sequence while others are independent.  For example when I don't have a whole Saturday to work on Maverick then I can grab a small section and scrape or clean and not worry about a change in plans or too much involvement.

Tomorrow I leave for a few days on a business trip so this weekend is lost.  But the following weekend I will tackle the fuel pump.  I decided that it may or may not be leaking into the crank.  So I'll start there.  After the fuel pump I'll focus on a radiator flush and a refill with new hoses.  Now I can feel fairly confident that I can start and warm her up without damage.  Even as I type this I am considering the other things that I might need to do, such as check the temp sensor and thermostat. Also of course changing the oil filter and the two gas filters I have in he fuel line and perhaps an inspection/rebuild of the carburetor. 

The second item I'll focus on are the brakes.  The truck has a bad master.  Why?  Cause we can't move the brake pedal.  The truck rolls fine but no pedal.  I have a master that has never been used and in the back of the camper and will start with that as an install.  This might also clear up the rear taillight short we have.  If that clears up the issues then I'll move forward with inspection of the wheel cylinders and brake components including brake lines. 

Little things like I mentioned such as the rubber boot that goes around the starter pedal and gear shift are not a priority but I don't want critters inside.

Once this is complete I will have a running and stopping truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment