Monday, September 23, 2013

Maverick (Picking Up and Hauling the Truck)

Maverick

Saturday my Dad and I went to pick up the GMC.  I was expecting to be at UHAUL 7:00 am sharp and leave town by 8:00.  Things went sideways.

I had originally made my reservation with UHAUL several weeks ago.  The first time I called they rejected it because they said the GMC wheelbase was 133 inches which is greater than the auto transport.  Calling the next day I told them it was a 1960 GMC and for some reason they accepted it.  I followed up several days before Saturday to make sure all was good.

Upon arrival at UHAUL the staff said it would not work and rejected my reservation.  Apparently the trailer and GMC weigh to much (2,200 + 3,600) for my 1999 4x4 Durango. We argued for some time until I told them it was actually a 1969 Ford Maverick.  They still would not rent it to me.  Finally after talking with the manager he said fine, but it was my liability.  The gross trailer weight recommended per Dodge is 5,500 to 7,400 which of course includes the trailer, which technically makes me ok.  However I also knew that traveling back home over 300 miles with a loaded trailer was going to be a long day.


We left UHAUL at 7:45, and were ahead of schedule.  We made fairly good time into Grass Valley considering a 55 MPH speed plus torrential rain for most the 300 miles.  As we rolled into Grass Valley the rain stopped and I was excited.  After a few turns we were on the last road to my father-in-laws when I mentioned to my dad, "looks like rain is on...."  I never finished my sentence as the rain started up again.  30 seconds later I pulled onto the property and there standing in the pouring rain stood my father-in-law and his wife and the GMC. 

1959 GMC 100 PickupHe had managed to get the old girl running minus brakes.  I pulled uphill and he proceeded to quickly drive the truck onto the trailer.  It took two times since the first time he went a bit fast and it bounced off the wheel stops and forced him back off the trailer.  At this point the truck stalled and he was trying to get the starter to engage but with the rain and hail now pounding the metal roof of the truck he could not hear it engage.

Finally it started and back on the trailer he drove.  We snugged her down and put the ramps away.  He gave me a few tips and pointers and told me about the extra parts in the bed.  We signed docs and off we went.

1959 GMC 100 PickupWe arrived back in Southern Oregon at 9:30 pm without issues or problems.  However I would mention that those thinking that the previous 6.5 hours of driving with 6,000 pounds of metal hauled by a 4,500 pound Durango is easy, should reconsider.  Its not that the Durango could not handle it, but experience and patience will be your friend.  Dropping into lower gears on hills and tapping brakes to straighten out wiggles was a common activity.

One of the most frightening things was the common practice of looking in my rear view mirror and being startled at seeing a truck on my rear end.  I know it seems like I should have known but time and time again I would see that GMC and forget I was towing the beast.

Also it can be a new experience to actually observe your gas gauge slowly go left.  Total fuel spent was about $200 for the roundtrip plus UHAUL of $55.  

No comments:

Post a Comment