Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Puzzle Pieces (Stomp Starter Rebuild)

If you like complex puzzles. the kind that test your patience and investigative skills, then get yourself an old truck!  The starter on my truck has always had a problem.  You stomp and it might wind up the starter motor but miss engaging the engine.  But it eventually would connect.  That's an important part of this story.  Why? because if it works some of the time that makes it low on the priority list of things to fix.  

As I removed the starter and scraped off the grease and dirt accumulation of many years I found that the starter has a part number and a brand stamped on its side.   DELCO-REMY.  So I go online to either find this part or a kit to rebuild it.  Turns out that this model is hard to find.  When you do it can be very expensive to replace.  At the time of this writing I found it for $130 plus an additional delivery fee because its so heavy.  I also found it for $320 plus shipping.

Bottom line was I decided to find a rebuild kit, which are available.  However the part that seemed to be an issue was not easily found.  Since I am not knowledgeable in the names of the various parts of a starter I had to educate myself as to the part I am looking for.  The first part is called a shift lever, and the part that is bad was called a button.  My buttons are worn out half way.  Calling Delco technical support I was lucky to find a man who knew the name but they no longer made them.  He suggested getting a new shift lever instead of just searching for new buttons, which is also no longer made.  However he said I if I really want the buttons I might want to try a company called WAI Automotive which might have them still in stock as they sold to them at some point.

Calling one of the distribution locations for WAI I found that they no longer have them but I

should try Obsolete Parts out of Ohio, or Amsco, they might have some.  He asked where I lived and suggested I try a company called Hagemeister Enterprises, Inc. After calling the other places and getting nowhere I called Hagemeister.  

Dave answered.  Turns out he works on Thursdays, lucky for me.  After some back and forth on describing the shift lever for my starter, as well as some pictures texted, I now own a brand new shift lever.  

I also posted on the oldGMCtrucks discussion board and had another jewel to this story.  The knowledge that is available is outstanding, and free.  Turns out that the problem with my shift lever is really a symptom of the real issue.  My starter drive is not "kicking" back as it should so the buttons remain in position slowly wearing down on the back side. So after a new lever, starter drive, brushes, and solenoid I am into it about $50.  Not bad, plus the greater understanding the puzzle created by so many pieces.  Thanks to all for your help. 
REBUILT STARTER

       

No comments:

Post a Comment